Skip to main content

Body, Mind, Spirit

It’s a new year and a great time to be mindful about being and staying healthy. Our bodies, minds and spirits are our individual responsibility to take care of and today I’m sharing some helpful tips on how you can do so. Enjoy!
Body - I’d be lying if I said I love working out. I really have to push myself at times because it’s easy to be like, nah, I’m good. But if you want a great and healthy body, you’ve got to stick to a good workout routine. I usually work out 3x’s a week for at least 35 minutes per workout. In my line of work I do a lot of sitting, so some days I feel sluggish and know I need to exercise. I love my body, but whenever I get that sluggish feeling I know I’ve got to get moving. The fall and winter months aren’t excuses to slack off. I believe if you’re good to your body it’ll be good to you. Even if you just do something like take brisk walks, make sure you’re setting aside time to be active. Your body will thank you. What you’re eating also plays a major role in your health. I count calories and aim to keep things healthy (along with some cheat days where I eat whatever I want guilt free) but lately I’ve been experimenting with green smoothies. I know they’re super trendy right now, but after doing a smoothie challenge I thought they were delicious and beneficial enough to make a regular part of my diet. I’ve also experienced the perks from green smoothies, like getting my fruit and veggie intake on a regular basis, boosted energy, and glowing skin. If you want to give them a try I suggest starting off with water, fat free vanilla yogurt, kale, and bananas -- they mix well together. 
Mind – The mind is one of the most powerful things each of us has. Feeding it with knowledge and beneficial information is important. Instead of being glued to our technology and constantly plugged into our devices, stepping away from those things and picking up a great book or going outdoors, spending time with loved ones, and being present are ways we can feed our minds with positivity. A few months ago I pulled back on my social media usage and learned that between working and writing full time, I really didn’t want to waste valuable time and didn’t have a lot of time to be on social media like I used to. There’s nothing wrong with utilizing technology so as long as it’s being used in positive and valuable ways. Just be mindful of what you’re feeding your mind on a regular basis.
Spirit – I’m a Christian and my relationship with the Lord is number one. Making sure that I’m spiritually fed is non-negotiable. Activities like fellowship with my church, actively spending time studying the word, meditation, prayer, and one of my personal favorites, having quiet time, all help keep my spirit in check.
Remember to prioritize your health. Take care of your body, mind and spirit. Also, be sure you’re seeing a physician for regular health check-ups. Ladies should be seeing a gynecologist, and everyone should be seeing a physician for annual physicals and scheduling annual dentist cleanings. It’s important to prioritize yourself and your health. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...